Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable
industrialization and foster innovation
Technological progress is the foundation of efforts to achieve environmental objectives, such as increased resource and energy-efficiency. Without technology and innovation, industrialization will not happen, and without industrialization, development will not happen.
There needs to be more investments in high-tech products that dominate the manufacturing productions to increase efficiency and a focus on mobile cellular services that increase connections between people.
Economic growth, social development and climate action are heavily dependent on investments in infrastructure, sustainable industrial development and technological progress. It is crucial to ensure people have quality physical facilities, equal access to opportunities, and that we use technological innovations to achieve environmental objectives.
- 2.5 billion people worldwide lack access to basic sanitation, almost 800 million lack access to water, and roughly 1 to 1.15 billion people do not have access to reliable phone services. Many developing countries lack even the most basic infrastructure, such as roads, information and communication technologies, and electrical power.
- Failing to improve infrastructure and promote technological innovation could translate into poor health care, inadequate sanitation and limited access to education and business opportunities.
- Due to strong interest in energy alternatives, the total number of jobs in renewable energy sectors could increase from around 2.3 million to 20 million by 2030.
- In 2013, there were an estimated half a billion jobs in manufacturing. And because of industrialization’s job multiplication effect, every one job in manufacturing creates 2.2 jobs in other sectors.
- Least developed countries have immense potential for industrialization in food and beverages (agro-industry) and textiles and garments, with good prospects for sustained employment generation and higher productivity. There are also great agribusiness opportunities for developing countries because barely 30% of their agricultural production undergoes industrial processing, compared to 98% in high-income countries.
- Manufacturing is consistently improving its emissions performance as countries transition to cleaner fuels and technologies, less energy-intensive industries, and stronger energy efficiency policies. However, this trend is not reflected in the global emissions intensity level, since a significant share of global manufacturing value added has moved to countries with poorer emissions performance.
- You can educate yourself and others on how industry impacts your life and well-being. You can also encourage policymakers to prioritize the SDGs.
- Companies can ensure that their projects and initiatives are sustainably managed and follow standards and regulations. They can also partner with NGOs and the public sector to help promote sustainable growth within developing countries.
- Develop quality, reliable, sustainable and resilient infrastructure, including regional and trans border infrastructure, to support economic development and human well-being, with a focus on affordable and equitable access for all
- Promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and, by 2030, significantly raise industry’s share of employment and gross domestic product, in line with national circumstances, and double its share in least developed countries
- Increase the access of small-scale industrial and other enterprises, in particular in developing countries, to financial services, including affordable credit, and their integration into value chains and markets
- By 2030, upgrade infrastructure and retrofit industries to make them sustainable, with increased resource-use efficiency and greater adoption of clean and environmentally sound technologies and industrial processes, with all countries taking action in accordance with their respective capabilities
- Enhance scientific research, upgrade the technological capabilities of industrial sectors in all countries, in particular developing countries, including, by 2030, encouraging innovation and substantially increasing the number of research and development workers per 1 million people and public and private research and development spending
- Facilitate sustainable and resilient infrastructure development in developing countries through enhanced financial, technological and technical support to African countries, least developed countries, landlocked developing countries and small island developing States 18
- Support domestic technology development, research and innovation in developing countries, including by ensuring a conducive policy environment for, inter alia, industrial diversification and value addition to commodities
- Significantly increase access to information and communications technology and strive to provide universal and affordable access to the Internet in least developed countries by 2020
• As a member of society, your active engagement in policy-making ensures that your voice is heard, knowledge is shared, and that critical thinking is encouraged at all ages. Policymakers can help generate job opportunities and fiscal policies that stimulate pro-poor growth and reduce poverty.
• As a member of the science and academic community, you can help discover sustainable solutions for the challenges of reducing poverty. Thanks to this community, there is now greater access to safe drinking water, reduced deaths caused by water-borne diseases, and improved hygiene to reduce health risks related to unsafe drinking water and lack of sanitation.
Sign up for our email list for more information and ways to get involved:
WHAT CAN I
DO ABOUT IT
You can help create a community of people and participate in the decision-making and implementation processes. Educate yourself about the issues we face as a global family, connect with like-minded people and take action.
Ask questions to your leaders about what they’re doing in regards to sustainable communities. Focus your attention on actionable steps because no step is too small to make a difference. Join our community and help create a better world.